Senior Art Show
These are the lovely postcards being sent out to advertize for the upcoming senior show. I’m biting at the bit—all my pieces are completed and framed, now I just need to deliver them and hang the show. Then it’s opening reception (this is more or less the final for my Senior Studio Art thesis)
Stop on by if you’re in the area and want to see some great upcoming artists. I’m so proud of all the hard work my peers have put into their works and this show.
So, a pleasant surprise today: I had previously contacted and made arrangements with a local framer, Simply Framing by Kristi. I had dropped off a few weeks ago all the completed etchings I had while I worked on the last two, since I knew that framing 24 etchings was going to take some time and I wanted to be considerate and give her ample work time before the deadline. Today I went to drop off the last two etchings, thinking I would have to come back at a later date to pickup the completed framed pieces.
Beyond my expectations, not only were the other 22 pieces framed and waiting for me, but I only had to wait 10 minutes to get my last two framed and I was able to take everything back with me! So now my thesis pieces are completely framed and are in my studio awaiting delivery to the museum.
So if you’re in the Roanoke, VA area and in need of framing, I highly recommend Simply Framing by Kristi for her friendly, exemplary services. ^_^
Art Thesis finished!
As of 4/10, I have completed my art thesis—I made 24 etched illustrations to accompany part of my previous creative writing thesis, The Dragon Prince.
I now have the time-consuming art portion done, but I’m not out of the woods yet—I still need to get these remaining ones framed and fill out various paperwork, then assemble and hang the Art Show that culminates the senior art thesis. Looking forward to it, though.
Also, funny thing how things go full circle: the megaloceros (aka Irish Elk, or in the case of this story Elsian Elk) in the bottom of the last etchings is actually based on the very first thing I ever drew for an etching class!)
The End is in Sight!
As of March 14th, I have completed 21/24 etchings for my thesis project. Only three more to go and I’ll have all the chapter illustrations for vol. 1 of Dragon Prince!
After taking some advice I got a the SCBWI conference, I’ve broken The Dragon Prince into three portions, tentatively titled Dragon Prince (still the first volume), Dragon Slave, and Dragon Hero. Since the first volume ends at chapter 24, it actually shaved off two images I had thumbnailed before for this thesis project, which I will just put on back-burner or a while.
New etching done! ^_^ 16/22 complete.
Chapter 13: A Master’s Character
Well, after being sick and traveling for 3 weeks, I finally finished this etching! By far the longest I’ve spent on one. Maybe because it was unlucky Chapter 13, hmm?
I’ll be putting my nose to the grindstone to get more done before my deadlines for the senior show!
Art Thesis Update: Halfway Point
With the completion of the etching for Chapter 19, I have reached the halfway point of my thesis: out of 24 images I have thumbnailed, I have made 12 etchings. ^_^ Right now my campus is on J-term, a one month intensive term, and since I’m continuing my etching, I’m going to hopefully get alot more done before the month is done and Spring term starts.
I’ve also started scanning the etchings, which is why these two are crisper than previous postings.
Thesis Update—Fall Semester Close
Well the fall semester of my art thesis is wrapping up, and at its close I have completed 10 new etchings total. I could have squeezed in one more, but I caught a bronchial infection and was slowed down. :( I am pleased with my progress, none-the-less, and have 14 more images I can possibly etch over J-Term (we have a month-long term in January at my school) and spring semester. Looking forward to seeing how many I can get done.
I had fun with these two new etchings—particularly overcoming my laziness/fear of elaborate backgrounds and interiors in the Ch. 16 etching, and I was really looking forward to etching that manticore. It helped that I made a model of him to draw off of.
Art Thesis Update
With the completion of these four etchings, my total thesis count is 8—a third of the way through the images I had thumbnailed! Still have two weeks, a J-Term, and half of spring semester too. If I keep this pace, maybe I’ll get them all done—but I won’t rush an image. I prefer quality over quantity.
I’m particularly proud of the Chapter 7 illustration, and was really excited to make it since it is the pivotal moment in The Dragon Prince—when Jaji is transformed from a dragon to a human by Marigold and Quinn.
Senior Thesis Progress—October 2012
I am undertaking the thesis project for my Studio Art major, so I am making illustration etchings based on the creative writing thesis I wrote last year,The Dragon Prince.I have 24 images thumbnailed, and I plan on completing as many etchings as I can before the senior art show at the end of the year. As of now, these are the first four I have completed—Ch 2, 4, 9, and 14.